A brief glimpse into the daily happenings of a 6-year-old, his new baby brother and his family.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Happy Birthday, Sassafras

Today would have been Allyson's 19th birthday. I've been thinking about her a lot today... remembering her spark, courage, and kindness.

I remember one of her birthdays-- she must have been turning 7 because she was in 1st grade.. I bought her this ridiculous Winnie the Pooh velour dress with matching Pooh tights from the Disney Store. She and I had discovered it on a trip to the mall and she cracked me up with her "ooooh's" and "ahhhh's" over the dress. She pointed out that it would be very warm (even on the playground), that it was very soft (comfort is important!), and that it would be good for "every day" or for "dressing up." Best of all, it was BEAUTIFUL (dark purple and green striped velour with a big, satin-y Pooh head appliqued on the front--- what could be any more beautiful). Of course, as soon as I was able, I returned to the mall to buy it. I think she wore it at least once a week for the rest of that winter.
I remember that the tights, once white with Pooh's face every few inches, had small holes and were grey from afternoons spent playing hard and working at school, but she wouldn't stop wearing them. After all, it was an OUTFIT. It WENT TOGETHER. Eventually, we convinced her to wear other tights, but that dress stayed in her wardrobe rotation for a long time. Typical Allyson--- fashion diva mixed with just enough determination not to give up.

No comments: