A brief glimpse into the daily happenings of a 6-year-old, his new baby brother and his family.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Raising a Sailor


For a couple of days, we've been getting a big laugh out of a new word in Ben's vocabulary. It seems that SOMEWHERE he's learned to say, "damn it." We've been ignoring (and laughing hysterically) as Ben has applied his new phrase in several situations:

B: Where's my dinosaur?
H: I think you left him in the car.
B: (under his breath) Damn it.


While he was trying to get a bristle block to stand up on the couch:
stands the block up, block falls over.

B: Damn it.
stands the block up, block falls over.
B: Damn it.
stands the block up, block falls over.

B: Aww, damn it. (this time he said it louder and with more facial expression)

After a few days of ignoring it, we decided we were going to have to say something. So, last night, I decided to address the issue:
B: Damn it.

H: Ben, that's not a nice thing to say. Don't say that anymore.
B: I no say, 'damn it' anymore?
H: No. Don't say it anymore.

B: Ok, Mommy. I not saying 'damn it' anymore. I all done saying 'damn it.'

When did my child turn into a sarcastic 13-year old? I don't think we've heard the last of this.....damn it.

No comments: