A brief glimpse into the daily happenings of a 6-year-old, his new baby brother and his family.

Thursday, April 5, 2007

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night!

Saturday night, Ben had guy's night with his buddy, Riley. Now, not being a guy myself, I'm not really sure what goes on during a normal guy's night, but this one was pretty fun.

We began with some fine dining and endless entertainment at our favorite rat pizza establishment-- Chuck E. Cheese. Yeah, "the Chuck" is a rat. A big one. What better mascot for a place that serves food? A place that serves food and has games and rides. A place that has pizza, games, rides, AND A MILLION SCREAMING CHILDREN. I'm pretty sure that a truck carrying massive quantities of sugar had overturned somewhere in the city and that all the kids there had been encouraged to eat as much of it as possible then come to Chuck E. Cheese for a night out. I know I'm somewhere with a ton of noise when my kid is the quiet one. The boys had a great time and have both mastered the fine, fine art of weasel-ing grown ups out of tokens. We even managed to get both of them to eat several pieces of pizza. Dinner and entertainment? Check.

Once we returned to our house, Ben suggested that it was time to take a bath. A bath! Of course. 'Cause I'm pretty sure that is what the big boys do. As a rare treat, I broke out the bathtub crayons and the boys practiced their graffiti skills on the shower walls.
After the boys finished admiring each other's pajamas, I was at a loss for what to do next... if it was guy's night, I was pretty sure that painting fingernails and crank calling boys ( a la slumber parties) wasn't in the cards. So, I decided on Plan B and we made a big bowl of popcorn and watched a movie. I even put a couple of sleeping bags on the floor. The boys looked much older than 2 and almost 3 as they munched their popcorn and watched Finding Nemo. I told Don that it was like peeking 4 or 5 years in the future--- minus the bathing together part, of course.

On Sunday night, when I told Ben it was time for a bath, he said, "Where's Riley? We need to color and then watch a show on the slippy blanket (sleeping bag)." I told him that Riley was at his house because it was a "school night" and we only have friends over for almost sleep-overs on the weekends. He looked at me, made a sad face, and said, "Dude. Bummer." Hold on, Kid. Only a few more days until the weekend is here again.

No comments: