A brief glimpse into the daily happenings of a 6-year-old, his new baby brother and his family.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

First Day of School (yadda, yaddda, yadda)

Ben's first day of preschool was great. Although I think we may have been a little too inquisitive after the other "first day of school" (Parents' Day Out on Monday). When I asked him if he had a good day, he said, "Yeah, Mom. It was great. Now I all done talking about it."

In the preschool program, all the kids get the same canvas tote bag to bring to school. At the parent open house, his teacher (Miss Becky) recommended that we find a way to personalize it so that our child could easily identify their own bag. Having seen the preschool kids for a couple of semesters, I know that "personalize" means different things to different parents. To some, it's a black magic marker with "MY KID'S NAME HERE" written across the top. Others go crazy with the puffy paint. In my Martha Stewart crafty brain, neither of those options were acceptable.

So, Ben and I went to the fabric store in search of the following fabric (all his idea):
Ninja Turtles, Spider Man, Buzz Lightyear, Cars, and Pirates. Unfortunately, they didn't have Ninja Turtles, so I had to buy colored fabric and make each one myself. I'm sure his preschool experience will be massively enhanced by the ridiculous number of hours I spent "personalizing" his bag. But, here is the finished product.

First the front view (he's very proud of the Buzz Lightyear "shooting" his name)


And now the Ninja Turtles (which I now have a special, not-appropriate-for-small-ears name for):

And, here's the little man with his bag and his lunch, all ready for the first day of preschool. Which, in case you've forgotten, was "great" but he's all done talking about it.

No comments: