A brief glimpse into the daily happenings of a 6-year-old, his new baby brother and his family.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Future trips to the psychiatrist

When I picked Ben up from school today, his teacher met me at the door with a BIG smile on her face.

Miss Becky told me that the children read a story today called "The Kissing Hand" about little Chester Raccoon who doesn't want to go to school--he wants to stay home with his mother. She assures him that he'll love school--with its promise of new friends, new toys, and new books. Even better, she has a special secret that's been in the family for years--the Kissing Hand. This secret, she tells him, will make school seem as cozy as home. She takes her son's hand, spreads his tiny fingers into a fan and kisses his palm--smack dab in the middle: "Chester felt his mother's kiss rush from his hand, up his arm, and into his heart." Whenever he feels lonely at school, all he has to do is press his hand to his cheek to feel the warmth of his mother's kiss. Chester is so pleased with his Kissing Hand that he--in a genuinely touching moment--gives his mom a Kissing Hand, too, to comfort her when he is away.


So, as they are reading, Miss Becky says, "Do you know that your mommies love you even when you're at school?" Now, get the mental picture, all 10 of the kids sitting on their spot on the story carpet.. eyes wide, nodding intently.. yes, their mommies do love them.

Then, there's my son who dropped his head, made a sad little face, and shook his head slowly, and confessed to the group:
B: No. My mommy doesn't love me when I'm at school. Not at all. (pout/ sad face)

Miss B: Oh, Ben. I think your mommy loves you very much.
B: Nope. She doesn't. Not when I'm at school.

Miss B: Well, let's ask her when she comes to pick you up. I bet she does.
B: Well, ok.

Now who needs therapy? You always hear about kids needing therapy for what their mothers do to them.... what about the moms who need therapy for the things their children say at preschool?

(Note: The "buh-nastics" (gymnastics) party with "Lighting the Fween" was a success! Everyone had lots of fun. I'll post the pictures soon.)

No comments: